Sunday 14 July 2013

80 Books No.48: Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepherd



Oh good grief. If you know me, you'll probably have been bored to tears by my talking about the TV series Pretty Little Liars in the last six months. I've become hooked, and it's so frustrating that season 2 has yet to be released on DVD in this country. I watched season 1 in record time because it's so amazing and pacy and exciting and just frankly SHINY that it has be watched. Nobody in Rosewood is unattractive; nobody is what they seem. It's INCREDIBLE.

So my excitement at finding book one of the original novels in a book sale yesterday was second to none, hence how I read it in about three hours. There was little new here for me as I've already watched the whole series and this probably covers episodes 1-5 at a guess, although not quite in the same order. It was interesting to notice the subtle differences between the two versions: the novel is far less ethnically diverse, with all four 'liars' seemingly mostly Caucasian, whilst in the TV series having a range of backgrounds for the girls. I would also say the TV series perhaps paces itself better as secrets are kept longer, and as the whole series is based upon secrets and lies, that kind of works better than things being more public knowledge as in the novel.

What the novel does do is allow the reader more of an insight into the characters' heads. Aria and Hanna were my favourite characters from the TV show, and continue to be here, but become more human and relatable as Aria struggles to know how to fit into Rosewood again and Hanna struggles with her weight. So far Ali hasn't come across as quite such a bitch as in the TV show, but there's time in the rest of the series.

Still, this is totally filling the void whilst I endlessly click refresh on Amazon waiting for season 2. In the meantime, here's the totally awesome opening from Pretty Little Liars. Remember: two can keep a secret if one of them is dead ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment