Wednesday 3 July 2013

80 Books No.44: The Hunger Games - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins


Alas, Collins couldn't keep it going. I think having re-read this, I think even less of Mockingjay than I did before. Which is a real shame because I love the trilogy and this could have been good. I think the main problem is that the story has almost run out of steam - at least, that is, the story that began in The Hunger Games. Suddenly it all becomes bigger, and the really cool concept of teenagers killing each other for entertainment (come on, you knew this was what I really liked!) becomes a mere side product of a gigantic war and I hate war stories; it's why I've sacked off A Song of Fire and Ice.

Also, Katniss becomes such a doormat in this, constantly asleep or drugged or injured whilst everybody else makes decisions for her. Collins also kills off too many characters, although not, conveniently, anybody extremely vital to the story; she builds up or creates characters and then just bumps them off, which means you don't lose anyone you've invested in from book 1, but is a bit manipulative.

I think the film of this could be a bit tedious. We'll have to wait till 2014 to find out.

This is my shortest review, summing up my sheer disappointment in this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment